Westmount Community Park
109 Kipling Court, Sudbury
Our learning garden is a youth-driven project by the Sudbury 4-H Club youth group in collaboration with the community and the Sudbury Community Garden Network/Foodshed Project. It opened in 2016.
Type of garden:
The Garden is open for community gardeners and is sponsored by local businesses and the Sudbury 4-H Club. It is open to Ward 8 citizens, local schools, and 4-H families. The Garden produces food for the Blue Door Soup Kitchen as well as citizens in need. It also has private gardeners.
- 4X4 or 4X8 foot raised-bed boxes and composting units.
- Completely fenced in with high chain link fence in previous unused bocce court space
- 4’ x 8’ plots: fresh produce delivered to the Blue Door Soup Kitchen
- 4’ x 4’ plots: for private gardeners, $20 seasonal fee
- 8’ x 16’ in-ground bed: shared harvest
- 4’ x 16’ in-ground squash bed (cucurbits: squash, zucchini, pumpkin, etc.)
- Three-compost box system
- Coming soon: Table-height garden boxes; accessible garden box, entrance and pathway; trellises on boxes for vertical growing; irrigation system
Cost to participate:
- 4’ x 4’ plot: private gardeners, $20
- 4’ x 8’ plot: private gardeners, $40
- One garden plot: $100 for Sponsors of Soup Kitchen produce
- All monies are used directly for the sustainability of the 4-H Garden
- No cost to community volunteers (non-gardeners)
- Skating arena and centre with accessible toilets
- Swing set and large children’s play centre
- Grassy area with sliding hill
- Splash pad and benches
- Outdoor toilet.
Amenities and benefits
- Water tap inside garden space with long, industrial hose
- Rain barrels with watering cans
- Picnic table with some shade
- No Chemical Gardening (no spraying); organic and/or heritage seeds; untreated seedlings; as “organic” as possible.
- Two benches
Thank you to our generous supporters!
"Friends of the 4-H Garden"
- Sudbury Clever Clovers 4-H Club
- 4-H Canada
- Advantage Physiotherapy
- Canadian Tire New Sudbury
- City of Greater Sudbury
- DeSimone Foot & Ankle Centre
- Equipment North
- Farm Credit Canada
- Foodshed Project / Sudbury Community Garden Network
- Linda Hachez, Master Gardener
- Kean’s K-9 Obedience & Behaviour Training
- Nickel Lodge No. 427
- RBC Grant Program
- Diane Soucy
- Sudbury Credit Union
- Vale Mining Company
- Ward 8 Community Action Network (CAN)